Tuesday, January 12, 2010

And Just Like That, I'm Huge


This great post is from Rachel Balducci over @ Testosterhome
Rachel describes herself and her blog  . . . .  
"I am married to Paul and we are the parents of five lively boys. Here you'll find my musings on life with these boys.
I'm a writer and a newspaper columnist.
If you're passionate about swords, army guys, Chuck Norris and basketball, you've come to the right place."
 And Just Like That, I'm Huge

This past weekend I spent a lot of time on the couch feeling exhausted. I think we all had a touch of a bug, but this evening as I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror I realized I was also tired because the baby was doing some serious growing these last few days.

Check it out:

I mean, that's impressive. It feels like one minute everyone is telling you how great you look. The next, you've spent two days on the couch and you suddenly find yourself lumbering around like your hamstrings are fused to your glutes. Which, let's face it, they are.
I'm not going to freak out about any of this. It's to be expected after all -- it's necessary and good and a beautiful gift. It's just always a jolt to get to that stage of the pregnancy when you remember (suddenly) why you don't want to stay pregnant forever. The end of the second trimester is often when these feelings arise.
Last night I was at Ethan's basketball game when a friend asked if I was feeling okay.
"Feeling pretty good," I told him.
"How far along are you," he asked.
"Nearly 26 weeks," I said.
"Are you okay," he asked. "You keep putting your hand on your large, round abdomen." (I might have added a few of those adjectives myself.)
"I must be trying to maintain balance," I told him.
The truth is, I'm not nearly as big as I'm going to get. And that's the other scary part about this stage of the pregnancy. I know this comes with these growth spurts that babies have, but it's always a tad disconcerting to watch your belly grow, to wonder where all the extra skin in going to come from (answer: McDonald's triple thick shakes) and to realize that you have miles to go before you sleep.
Ahhhh. Sleep. Yes, that sounds nice.

No comments: